Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pieces of My Childhood -- John Eric Holmes (1930-2010)

I received a sad bit of news this weekend.  Dr. John Eric Holmes, author of the popular "blue book" basic set of Dungeons & Dragons (pre-Moldvay, pre-Mentzner), died from a stroke March 20 of this year.  While my induction into the game was the monster AD&D 1e hardbacks that Gary Gygax put together, my group and I adopted the Holmes and Moldvay versions after we discovered them shortly thereafter.  

Pieces of my childhood are fading away -- Gygax, Arneson, Moldvay, Heinlein, Asimov, Findley, Parkinson...too many brave souls have left their mark on me before they left this world.


RIP, all of you.  


A further, more comprehensive obit may be found here: 
http://www.erbzine.com/gw/1004.html

No comments:

Post a Comment